Life in stage crew

Daniella Jaray, Stage Manager

Being a stage manager is super fun, but it’s also very stressful. There are thousands of things that can go wrong during a performance and it’s up to stage crew to make sure things turn out smoothly. My position also takes up most of my time. I’m always in rehearsals, whether it be after school or even on weekends.  As a stage manager, I have to learn every part of the play to be able to recognize any mistakes that may occur. I also keep notes for Mr. Dunn and write in blocking (where actors stand during scenes). I have one co-stage manager, Estie Wasserstein, and together we are in charge of all of the stage crew.

In stage crew, there are two stages of practices. There are the days where we make all of the props and help actors learn how to use them in each scene and there are days where we practice lighting and microphone changes.

One thing you learn being on stage crew is that actors are like tornadoes. They will almost always break everything they touch. When we make the props, we “actor-proof” them. That usually means putting extra glue, tape, or making extra props for when they inevitably get lost. Another thing you learn is that hot glue is your best friend. If something breaks in the middle of the play, you super glue it. Always.

A really cool part of my job is that I get to wear a special headset that allows me to talk to Estie and another stage crew member who sits backstage just in case I need to tell them something went wrong and needs to be fixed.

If you’re looking for a good time, have the time and dedication, don’t like performing but still want to be part of a great group of people, then stage crew is for you. It was definitely one of the highlights of high school for me.