Season recap: varsity track and field

photo courtesy of Larry Bard

The varsity track and field team poses for a team picture at their championship meet.

Addie Bassin, Guest Writer

On May 15, the coed varsity track and field team had their championship track meet, ending with the boys team placing eighth with 23 points and the girls team in seventh place with 22 points.

The final meet was hot and long but the track team was still setting CESJDS records. Sophomore Daniel Chodorow set the JDS number five All Time Marks in fourth place for shotput finish and fifth place for discus finish. Another record was set yesterday by freshman Sophia Miller who set the JDS number two All Time Marks in third place for the 100 meter hurdles finish and also in the 300 meter hurdles finish.

According to assistant coach and science teacher Kelly Grosskurth, throwing was an area that showed the most growth and improvement.

“The main difference this season compared to the past spring season was that this year we were focusing a lot more on throws as an area of growth for our team,” Grosskurth said. “most of the time distance running is what most of the athletes on the team run in distance events.”

Junior and team captain Jacob Sher was “really impressed” with how the team did this season, especially after losing three great runners from the year before. He also thinks the team has learned some important lessons.

“I think as a team, we’ve learned that running is not an individual sport,” Sher said. “we learn[ed] that we really have to push each other and we’re responsible for motivating each other.”