Lions defeat Knights with mercy rule

Photo by Alex Landy

The JDS Lions warm-up before their second game against the Washington Waldorf Knights on their home field.

Alex Landy, Reporter

The CESJDS boys varsity baseball team  (1-1) defeated the Washington Waldorf Knights (0-1-1) at home on Wednesday afternoon, 16-6, after they reached the mercy-rule, which is when the game ends following the fifth inning if a team leads their opponent by 10 or more runs.

The Lions, having lost their first game of the season on Tuesday, hoped to triumph over the Knights and achieve their first season victory and move in an upward trend. This game was unique, particularly for Lions, as every player on the team was able to participate by the end of the game and contribute to the team’s success. The Knights had a slight disadvantage as they had just nine players during the game.

The game started out slowly with the Knights leading the Lions 2-0 in the first inning. Freshman pitcher Robby Lefkowitz, who started the team, got the group back on track with five strikeouts throughout the game, exciting the small crowd at the JDS field.

Lefkowitz pitched until the fourth inning when junior Max Portnoy took over, continuing the Lions’ lead. The Lions’ momentum only increased from that point on.

Sophomore Ray Ash took the pitcher’s mound to replace Portnoy when the Lions had a solid lead of 16-4 against the Knights. Ash remained pitcher until the end of the game when the Lions had claimed victory.

According to varsity coach Steve Forestieri, the team successfully accomplished their goal to focus more on defense. They overcame obstacles, such as avoiding errors, issues that he believes led to their first season loss.

“The team played great today…today our goal was to clean up the defense and minimize errors and we did that and we still produced offensively. So, so far, we’re moving in the right direction and hopefully we can continue to do that and get better each game,” Forestieri said.

One of the Lions’ team captains, junior Jacob Schwartz, said that the team played much better than their first game on Tuesday, which they lost 9-7. He said that he is looking forward to and has high hopes for the rest of the spring season.  

“I am very optimistic about the future of the season. I think this is one of the deepest teams we’ve had in a long time. We have people off the bench who can play significantly better than some other teams’ starters…,” Schwartz said.

By the end of the fifth inning, the Lions had clinched their first season win and wrapped up their second game of the week on a positive note.