Make art classes mandatory

Sophia Miller, Reporter

Although many people may think that Apple founder Steve Jobs only cared about technology, they are wrong. Jobs said, “Technology alone is not enough. It’s technology married with the liberal arts, married to the humanities, that yields us the results that make our hearts sing.”

Taking music and art classes allows students to express themselves. Despite the fact that many students are not particularly interested in music and art, these classes can still teach many valuable lessons like dealing with mistakes. Students learn values that they can later apply to their academic and social lives, such as cooperation and problem-solving. All students should have a well-rounded education, which includes art and music.

In a 2002 report by the Arts Education Partnership that was reproven in 2010, students who are exposed to arts are found to be more proficient in different school subjects. Researchers found that students who took an art or music class typically scored higher on standardized tests. This conclusion was reached by looking at many different studies done throughout the country.

In addition to enhancing academic performance, arts and music also help students learn accountability in a friendly environment. Students learn to be confident and to take credit for their work which, in turn, helps them take responsibility for their mistakes in school as well as in their everyday lives.

Another benefit of taking a class in the arts is the emphasis on collaboration. The Rand Corporation found that art and music classes help community cohesion. Students can help their community through art as the classes give them an outlet to create beautiful pieces as a way to express themselves or their communities.

Arts and music are very important for people to be taking because they don’t just teach you how to draw or play an instrument. They teach you important life skills in a friendly environment. They prepare you for the outside world as well as giving you skills that you can apply in the rest of your classes.