Lions secure fifth consecutive victory against Red Devils

photo by Irit Skunik

Leading scorer Brooke Cohen fights to avoid a steal from the Red Devils, as freshman Abby Alter backs her up.

Irit Skulnik, Guest Writer

The varsity girls basketball Lions narrowly defeated the Washington International School Red Devils on Wednesday with a score of 37-33. This was the Lions’ fifth consecutive win of the season, giving them a record of 5-0.

Senior Dani Bernstein scored the first basket of the game. From the start, the game was very fast-paced. By the end of the first half, the Lions had garnered a 21-15 advantage.

Coach Becky Silberman was impressed with the results of the game but still recognizes areas for development.

“I think we need to improve a little bit on our passing and our decision making, I think we overall controlled the ball really well this game,” Silberman said.

In the second half of the game, the Red Devils made a comeback, increasing the intensity and aggressiveness on the court. By the end of the game, the Lions had committed 10 fouls and the Red Devils had committed 14.

The third quarter ended with the Lions leading by just 4 points. After an intense fourth quarter, the Lions prevailed 37-33.

Senior captain Brooke Cohen secured the lead, as she sunk the last two baskets of the game. Cohen scored 19 points, had 2 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 assist and 4 blocks.

Team captain and senior Sophie Handloff was very happy with how the team played.

“We communicated really well which is what we were looking for, we stayed strong the whole time and didn’t let our nerves get to us and I think that’s really how we pulled through,” Handloff said. “We still definitely need to make sure our nerves are not affecting our game and that we always play to our level and not the other teams level.”