Cutting out conformity through fashion

Cutting out conformity through fashion

Talia Cohen, Guest Columnist

Walking through the halls of CESJDS are hundreds of individuals, and yet at first glimpse they all mix together. There is a sea of Lululemon leggings, maroon Brandy Melville T-shirts and white low-top Converse shoes. This does not inherently look like a problem, but it becomes one when teens feel like the only way to fit in is to lose their individuality.

Clothing is seen as a way to express who we are. Every morning, we put on an outfit that physically represents us for the rest of the day. Many teens, however, waste the opportunity to express individuality and instead choose to blend in.

Preppy, athletic, hipster or lazy students at JDS all are known for their particular style, and it can sometimes feel like these labels cannot be changed. High school is a time to find ourselves, yet we are unable to because we are too focused on fitting a mold. A student who wears a T-shirt and jeans every day can’t walk into school with a new outgoing dress from Urban Outfitters without being “attacked” with glances, and questioned on what the occasion is.

One of WebMd’s goals is to educate teens and parents about the effects peer pressure can have on our lives. Professor of psychology at Temple University Laurence Steinberg feels that in some ways peer pressure is inevitable.

“All of us want to please our friends, so we’re inclined to act in ways they approve,” Steinberg said in a WebMd feature. “It is hard to resist because we all like being accepted.”

Wanting to be accepted or to fit in is commonly seen in teenage behavior, and this feeling is what causes teens to want to conform to society. When teens feel that they can truly express themselves, however, the outcomes can be amazing.

One example of this is Tavi Gevinson, a teen fashion vlogger, who proves what not being afraid to express ourselves through our clothing can do. Gevinson started her blog “Style Rookie” when she was only 12 years old, and although she had little support when she first started, she has since been recognized as one of “The 25 Most Influential Teens of 2014” by Time magazine. She has used her success to move into pop culture where she is now a singer and actress on Broadway.

Unfortunately, it is not easy for everyone, especially teens, to follow Gevinson’s lead. As they begin high school, teens tend to contemplate the question “does individualism help or hurt us?” We want to be important and yet we are scared to stand out. When you blindly follow a crowd of people, however, you begin to adapt to their fashion, taste and opinions.

According to University of Madison-Wisconsin psychology professor Richard Davidson, advisory is what allows us to find passion in the things we do.

“Individuality … provides color to our everyday life and infuses our interpersonal relationships with meaning,” Davidson said.

I am a strong believer in the importance of acting as a leader, and to do this we must understand who we are as individuals. What you wear is important because it is the first step toward being your own person. If we graduate from high school without a strong individual identity, there is no way we will be successful.

If we aren’t confident about who we are, we will never be able to have the courage to stand up for our beliefs. Learning this lesson in high school will make us more successful as we enter the real world.