Staying hydrated at school

Freshman Eliana Gropman holds her water bottle that she carries around all day at school.

photo provided by Talia Mitre

Talia Mitre, Guest Writer

Drinking sufficient amounts of water while attending a full day of classes at CESJDS can be very challenging.  As a solution, several students and teachers now bring water bottles to school every day.

According to Eat Right Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, girls ages 14 to 18 should drink around eight cups of water a day and boys of the same age group should drink around 11.  

“Students should drink water all throughout the day,” school nurse Margarita Payne said. “70 percent of your body is made up of water so water is really important and staying hydrated will help you stay focused.”

As part of her regimine as a competitive ice dancer, freshman Eliana Gropman brings a reusable water bottle to school everyday. Since she is an athlete, Gropman makes it a point to remember to stay hydrated by drinking more than 24 ounces of water daily.  

“If I do not bring a water bottle, then I probably would not have enough time in between classes to get water from a water fountain,” Gropman said.

Not only does a water bottle make it physically easier for Gropman to drink more water, but it serves as a reminder to stay hydrated.

“[Bringing a water bottle to school] will help remind people to drink water,” Gropman said. “If I don’t bring a water bottle, then I won’t remember to drink enough water.”

Some students and teachers drink water for reasons other than just hydration.  Jewish Text teacher Joel Goldstein brings a water bottle to work every day because drinking water helps him stay awake if he’s tired and because he is comfortable holding something in his hand. Also, it helps him focus on class when he is hungry.

“[Drinking water]  helps me when I feel hungry, but I know that I won’t have food right in front of me or if it’s not a good time to eat,” Goldstein said.

Students and teachers often bring liquids other than water. For Gropman, energy drinks such as Powerade or Gatorade give her the same benefits as water. Goldstein also drinks coffee and tea during the day. Drinking coffee warms him up when it is cold outside and helps him whenever the classroom feels “stuffy.”

According to Payne, however, caffeinated drinks are not as helpful as water to stay hydrated.

“When you drink caffeinated drinks it actually has the opposite effect,” Payne said. “You may be drinking fluids, but you’re going to lose those fluids through the caffeine: not the best choice.”

Although bringing water to school has its benefits, Goldstein finds that sometimes his water bottle can be a distraction for his students. This is because his water bottle is made from hardened glass. Goldstein also loses the tops to his water bottles and has to look for them around school. Gropman has a similar problem.

“Sometimes I forget a water bottle in a classroom and then I have to try to find it and track it down,” Gropman said.

Despite these negatives, Payne strongly believes that drinking water throughout the day is very important for your health.  

“Water helps rid your body of viruses faster if you’re sick,” Payne said. “It helps maintain good health and balance so it’s really important to drink water.”