New Middle School Phone Policy Sparks Controversy

Kate Sosland, Guest Writer

Although cell phones are a big part of students’ lives, they often distract students from classwork and engaging with their peers. At the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year the administration created a new middle school cell phone policy; phones must stay in their lockers during the school day to allow students to focus during class.

In previous years, middle school students were allowed to keep their phones in their pockets during class and use them during lunch and clubs. This year, however, students must keep their phones in their lockers throughout the school day. They are only allowed to check their phones briefly at the beginning or end of lunch, provided that they are not tardy to lunch or their next class. Failure to comply with the rules results in confiscation of one’s phone by administration.

Eighth grader Ally Knapp is disappointed by this new rule because she wants more freedom. She feels that eighth graders are mature enough to have their phones in their pockets.

“Eighth graders should know they have a choice to get distracted in class and do [badly], or pay attention and do well in the class,” Knapp said.

Over the summer, the administration researched the middle school cell phone policies of other private, independent and public schools. According to Middle School Principal Rebecca Weisman, most schools prohibit students from using cellphones during the school day. While technology is becoming increasingly important, Weisman said that having phones during lunch and clubs is not a healthy dynamic.

“By limiting cell phones, it gives students time to engage with each other,” Weisman said.

Knapp, on the other hand, feels that lunch is a time for students to make their own choices about what they do, so they should be allowed to use their phones. She is looking forward to high school when this rule will not apply to her anymore.

“The idea of bringing your phone to class is something people like, and people are responsible enough to do that,” Knapp said.

Some students, like seventh grader Adam Alter, understand the new rule.

“I think [this rule] is necessary because otherwise kids would be bringing their phones to classes and be distracted,” Alter said.

According to Weisman, this policy has helped the middle schoolers be more attentive during class and teachers are very pleased.

“An important skill for kids is to put their phones away and be present,” Jewish text teacher Janet Ozur Bass said. “I know far too many adults who don’t have that skill, so take advantage of the training.”

Although phone use is limited during school hours, it is important for students to learn how to use computers responsibly during class. Weisman feels that it is enough for middle schoolers to learn how to control and regulate a computer.

“I’d rather limit what is and isn’t allowed to set up students to be successful.” Weisman said.