War and Civilization class visits Gettysburg Battlefield

Seniors+listen+to+a+tour+guide+in+front+of+the+memorial+for+Mississippis+11th+Infantry+Regiment.+

Courtesy of JDS twitter

Seniors listen to a tour guide in front of the memorial for Mississippi’s 11th Infantry Regiment.

Joey Shoyer, Reporter

It is said that the best way to learn is through experience. On Monday Nov. 2, seniors in the the War and Civilization history elective had the privilege of learning about the Civil War on a famous battlefield.

These seniors took a full-day field trip to the Gettysburg Battlefield in Pennsylvania. The students spent the day on a professional tour that included visits to various key locations, a short film about the significance of the Battle of Gettysburg and a tour of the museum at the Battlefield Visitor Center.

War and Civilization teacher Michael Connell, who led the trip, said that visiting the battlefield was crucial to the students’ understanding of the curriculum, which includes reading a novel about the battle itself.

I find it helpful for the students to visit the Gettysburg Battlefield after reading Shaara’s ‘Killer Angels,’ which describes the three days of the battle from the viewpoint of soldiers on both sides,” Connell said. “After the visit, the students have a much more thorough understanding of the nature and significance of the battle.”

Senior Uri Schwartz said that the experience was a valuable complement to the class material.

“It was incredible to see the battlefield in person, after having learned so much about it,” Schwartz said. “We also had a very intelligent and knowledgeable guide who took us around the entire battlefield, pointing out interesting monuments and locations, which really enhanced the experience. It was a great way to summarize all that we have learned so far in the quarter.”

Multiple students benefited from their Gettysburg experiences. For senior Ellie Mendelson, one moment specifically stood out.

“We were passing by all of the memorials that states built in order to commemorate their fallen soldiers. We learned that Maryland had soldiers on both sides because it was a border state, so Maryland’s monument was really cool because it had a confederate soldier and union soldier both wounded helping each other,” Mendelson said. “I thought it was really meaningful.”

Visiting the site of the Battle of Gettysburg allowed Schwartz to gain a new perspective on the historical facts he learned in class.

“Going to the summit of Little Round Top, and seeing the stunning yet haunting view that the Union soldiers had during the battle was incredible interesting,” Schwartz said. “It was very shocking and disturbing, but also terribly interesting and important to witness.”

According to Schwartz, War and Civilization demands a lot of work, but he believes that the course is more than worth it.

“This class is fascinating and endlessly interesting. Mr. Connell’s passion for the material is abundantly evident, and his excitement to teach adds to the vibrant learning atmosphere in our class,” Schwartz said. “Students who are interested in history, and in war in general, should not let this course pass them by.”