JDS Welcomes Varsity Swim Team to the Winter Athletic Season

Rina Torchinsky, Reporter

The JDS varsity swim team is making a splash as it is introduced to the pool of available winter sports.

Director of Athletic and Summer Programs Michael Riley reported that 16 students have already signed up to participate, and around 10 more have demonstrated interest in joining the team as well. Though both middle schoolers and high schoolers are welcome to the team, Riley expects that this year’s team will be solely comprised of high school students.  He will be holding a meeting soon to spark more interest in the team.

According to Riley, the swim team will be similar to the track team as the skill levels will range from novice to experienced. However, unlike the track team, the swim team will not practice everyday. As of now, swim team practices are scheduled for Sunday evenings at the Jewish Community Center in Rockville. Riley hopes that the team will compete in a few meets against other high school swim teams, but this will not be affiliated with the Potomac Valley Athletic Conference as there are no swim meets in the PVAC.

Freshman Caroline Weinstein is one of the students who will likely participate on the team. She plays softball in the spring and rides horseback in the fall, and plans to use her free time in the winter to join the new swim team.  Weinstein was on a competitive swim team for around two years and earned a couple of medals and more than 10 ribbons during that time. Eventually she “got tired of it” and found that “it was hard to keep up with it.” But now that the swim team is available at school, Weinstein is going to get back into it.
“[I’m joining the team] because [swimming] is fun,” Weinstein said. “ I think it will be exciting, but I think it will be hard at first”