Considering the high rates of cybercrime, people should keep their social media accounts private.
Share with care: People should keep social media accounts private
Leora Blumenthal, Reporter • February 29, 2024

As I scroll through Instagram, I see User 1981918 commented on a girl my age’s post, “go do the world a favor and kill yourself.” I imagine...

Israels most recent Eurovision win was in 2018, when Netta performed Toy. Photo used with permission.
Opinion: Israel should still participate in Eurovision
Aliza Bellas, Managing Editor, Copy • February 28, 2024

Just ten days ago, I stood in a crowd of over 3,000 Jewish teens watching Noa Kirel perform her hit Eurovision song, “Unicorn.” Although...

Ninio (far right) and family traveled Puerto Rico over winter break during Ninios time at JDS. Photo provided by Gili Schisterman.
JDS welcomes Israeli students relocated due to Israel-Hamas War
Maya Greenblum and Jordana DauberFebruary 28, 2024

As soon as Hamas’ attack on Israel occurred on Oct. 7, the realities of Israeli citizens were flipped upside down, causing a number of unprecedented...

Girls junior varsity basketball defeats BASIS

Freshman+Brielle+Bassin+passes+to+freshman+Caroline+Salz+during+their+game+against+the+BASIS+school.+
Aliza Braier
Freshman Brielle Bassin passes to freshman Caroline Salz during their game against the BASIS school.

Coming off a win against the ​​British International School of Washington on Jan. 22, the CESJDS girls’ Junior Varsity basketball team was confident for their game against the BASIS Independent McLean Hawks on Jan. 24. In the first quarter, the Lions quickly gained a 6-2 lead, setting the tone for the rest of the game. They were consistent with both offense and defense, leading them to a 25-15 win.

The Lions’ defense was strong throughout the first half of the game, as freshman Caroline Salz made a critical block to end the half with a 14-4 lead. Throughout the game Salz got multiple important rebounds, and was aggressive going to the basket.

“I think I’ve gotten more confident going to the basket and drawing fouls,” Salz said.

The Lions remained strong throughout the second half, creating a ten point gap that lasted for the entirety of the game. Sophomore and captain Maiya Blumenthal and freshman Brielle Bassin were leading scorers throughout the third and fourth quarters.

Both Blumenthal and Bassin scored career highs in this game. Blumenthal played a big role in securing the win being the highest scorer for the Lions, scoring eight points. Bassin scored a total of six points throughout the full game, including two points in the second half.

Notably, the team was short players because many players from the varsity roster often elect to join the JV roster for games, but the varsity team was in Canada competing in the 2024 Israel Becker International Invitational Basketball Tournament at the time of the game. According to Assistant Coach Devira Friedman, this forced everyone to step up.

“It really was one of our best team performances,” Friedman said.

The Lions have improved over the season, mainly in their teamwork. Their confidence and individual skills have also significantly improved. In this game, their communication created effective teamwork, helping them achieve the win.

“I think we really played as a team and really communicated well, which I think has been, as the season has gone on, one of our strengths,” sophomore and captain Nolyn Ziman said.

Ziman had many rebounds, while freshman Liana Lesser added several defensive steals. Friedman believes that this was the team’s best performance of the season, and cannot wait to watch them grow more.

“I’m excited to watch them the rest of high school and [see] everybody get better at individual things and also playing as a team,” Friedman said. “We’ve come a long way just in the past couple of months, [and] we don’t have that much of the season left but I think it will be exciting to watch everybody grow over the next couple of years.”

View Comments (1)