Capital Weather Gang Meteorologist and JDS parent Dan Stillman working in his home. Photo by sophmore Matty Stillman, used with permission
A forecasting father: a look into a JDS parent's career as a meteorologist
Aliza, Braier • May 5, 2024

Many people are used to clicking on the weather app on their phone to see the weather forecast. However, few think about how much work goes behind...

An expert's guide to reality TV romance
Aliza Bellas, Managing editor, Copy • May 3, 2024

Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Girls varsity basketball loses to rival Berman

Sophomore+Tali+Loeffler+shoots+a+free+throw.+
Netanel Bitton
Sophomore Tali Loeffler shoots a free throw.

After the back-and-forth victories last year between the CESJDS and Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy girls varsity basketball teams, the Lions were looking to get a big win in their game against the Berman Cougars on  Dec. 18. Despite this, the JDS girl’s varsity basketball team lost the game 49-51. 

The rivalry between Jewish schools in Maryland has been going on for years, but following last year’s season, the game between JDS and Berman garnered extra attention. Last year, the rivalry was accelerated, with the Cougars beating the Lions in the first two games they played against each other. But, at the end of the season, the Lions won the PVAC championships against the Cougars and ultimately took home the banner. 

“Coming into this game, our rivalry was even more intense after them beating us last season twice and then us beating them in the championship,” Director of Athletics and girls varsity basketball coach Becky Silberman said. 

The game started in the Lion’s favor, with them ahead of the Cougars at the end of the first quarter with a six point lead. The Lions kept a lead going for the majority of the game until the fourth quarter when the Cougars stepped up their game and claimed the victory. 

JDS players were making constant baskets throughout the game. The top scorer was senior and co-captain Shani Schwartz, scoring 22 points. But, Schwartz wasn’t the only one making baskets; many underclassmen made numerous shots this game, including freshman Yarden Wilkenfeld, with 6 points, and sophomore Tali Loeffler, with 8 points. 

Although the Lions had strong shooting and offensive skills, the Cougars played strong and effective defense, blocking shots and making it difficult for the Lions to drive to the basket. 

In the fourth quarter, it all came down to free throws. During the end of the game, multiple fouls were made on Berman players during this quarter while they were attempting to shoot, leading them to make six free throws and claim the victory. 

The Lions played strong offense and defense but were outplayed by the Cougars, especially in their rebounding skills. The JDS players often missed opportunities to claim the ball after a missed shot, and Berman players were able to use that to their advantage.

“The Cougars outworked us and gave their all on every play, which led to their win,” Silberman said. 

Because of the strong Jewish community around both of these schools, the games are even more intense for players and fans alike. This was shown in the games’ turnout; all of the bleachers were packed with parents, students, classmates and friends coming to cheer on both teams. 

“The fact that we both want to win so badly, but at the same time, everyone knows each other makes things so much more fun and competitive,” junior team member Dalia Epstein said. 

Although the outcome may not have met the expectations of JDS fans, there will still be a rematch. Berman and JDS face off again this January, and that game will come with its own outcome. 

“We worked really hard but unfortunately didn’t win this time,” sophomore team member Amalia Netter said. “I’m excited for the rematch because we know their team better now so we will be more prepared. We’re going to work on our communication a lot and our defense.”