Nathan celebrates after breaking the school record for the 3,200 meter race. Used with permission from Nathan Szubin.
Student breaks school record in track race
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 21, 2024

When junior Nathan Szubin stepped up to the line of the 3,200 meter race in the Johns Hopkins Invitational Meet on April 19, he had a different...

Arditi Zarouk (second from left) celebrates the 50-year anniversary of Perach with her team at the residence of Israeli President Herzog. Used with permission from Arditi Zarouk.
Former students and staff readjust to Israel in the wake of war
Mia Forseter, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

The Israeli embassy and military send over emissaries every year, and many of these families choose to send their kids to CESJDS. When they go...

A day of matzo meals
A day of matzo meals
Sophie Schwartz, Opinion Editor • April 18, 2024

Many people dread Pesach time, when their beloved chametz (leaven) is replaced with dry, brittle matzo. However, if presented well, matzo does...

Junior Evan Klepper gets ready for his WIS opponent to serve
Lions tennis fall short to WIS
Isaiah Segal-Geetter, Reporter • April 18, 2024

“Twenty four on 3, Mashiach on 6,” junior and tennis captain Evan Klepper said to the varsity boys tennis team before their match against...

Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Eighth grade visits Capitol Hill
Jonah Mitre, Reporter • April 17, 2024

To put their learning from government class into perspective, eighth grade students visited Capitol Hill on April 10 for a field trip. Throughout...

At the college fair on April 7, Pitzer College representatives boasted about their Students Justice for Palestine (SJP) club to a Jewish student.
Opinion: Colleges need to support Zionist students
Stella Muzin, Editor-in-Chief • April 16, 2024

On April 7, I attended the Washington Area Independent Schools College Fair, which was co-sponsored by CESJDS along with other schools from the...

First girls varsity soccer game ends in a draw

Jordan Levy
Senior Abby Greenberg has the ball for girls varsity soccer team. The team came back from a 2-1 deficit to tie the game.

The girls varsity soccer team forced a 2-2 draw in their opening match of the season on Monday, Sept. 11 against the Field School

The game began slowly with both teams posting a strong defense throughout the first 15 minutes. Finally, in minute 16, freshman Cat Salz broke through the defense and fired a ball past Fields’ goalie to take a 1-0 lead.

“It was really nerve-racking going into the game,” Salz said. “It felt really good to score today.”

The score stayed the same through the first half as the Lions were propelled by senior goalie Ellie Levine’s stellar defense. Levine saved numerous hard shots from Field’s attackers to keep the lead going into the second half.

“[Levine] played out of her socks today on the field,” girls varsity soccer coach Paul Simmonneti said. “She stopped just about everything and kept us in the game.”

As the second half opened, the Lion’s defense started to fall apart. The Field players took advantage and stormed back, scoring two goals off a cross in the 60 minute and off a rocket of a shot from the top left of the goalie’s box in the 65th minute. 

Despite losing the lead, the Lion’s continued to persevere. They attacked multiple times to no avail until the 71 minute, when they drew a foul inside the opposing goalie’s box. The penalty inside the box awarded them a penalty kick, which junior Gigi Gordon drilled into the back of Field’s net to make the score 2-2.

The last 10 minutes of the match went back and forth, but neither side scored to put them ahead. The Lions’ defense, which Simonetti said they had worked on all of last week in preparation for the matchup against Field, held despite some close calls ending the match in a draw.

“The team played really amazing for our first game,” senior Zoe Epstein said. “Everyone came together and I’m looking forward to building on that chemistry together.”

Despite the draw, Simonetti loved the effort his team put in and is looking forward to the rest of the season.

“We always seem to pull a tough game on the schedule for the first game,” Simonnetti said. “But to have a lead, give up the lead, and come back to tie it up with really hard play; I am thrilled.”