Girls varsity volleyball team kick off fall season

Junior Reut Skromne prepares to serve during the fourth set against Model. After losing the first two sets, JDS was close to a comeback, but fell short, losing in the fifth set.

Lyle Barrocas

Adin Halbfinger, News Editor

As the girls varsity volleyball team ran onto the court, junior Darya Dayanim was feeling two emotions. Nervousness and excitement. Not just was this the first game of the season, but the team had only one practice prior, meaning there was a very real chance they wouldn’t start on the same page. This game against Model was the Lion’s first since they lost in the playoffs nine months ago.

The Lions lost the first seven points, leading to a timeout by coach Cindy Zhang. The rally coming out of the timeout was a long one, with both teams hitting it over the net many times. However, energized by the coach’s speech during the timeout, JDS scored their first point of the season.

I was just trying to make sure that they calmed down, Zhang said. “This is their first match at home, so we tried to calm their nerves and get them back to focusing on the basics.”

The timeout’s effect wore off though, and despite some good hits from JDS, Model went on a large run to take a 19-3 lead. This prompted a second but not as successful timeout by JDS, and soon after they lost their first set of the season 25-8.

The Lions started the second set on a positive note, winning the first three straight points. The teams then went back and forth, and Model tied the game at five. The teams traded small runs, leading to a tie game at 19. The Lions then went on a 5-2 run and found themselves just one point away from a set win. However, they hit a wall, losing five straight points, and lost the second set 26-24.

“We weren’t too worried. We knew we just had to take it one point at a time and get a shot at the game, and then maybe we could win,” junior Darya Dayanim said.

The JDS home crowd got into it during the third set as JDS scored the first 5 points. Model came back quickly though as they tied the set at 8-8. JDS rebounded and gained a 23-14 lead. However, a Model comeback made it a two-point game at 24-22. Despite the comeback, the Lions stayed strong and won their first set of the year on a spike by freshman Leah Fagin.

“I knew we could beat them because we did it in practice, and we were so close in that second set,” junior Reut Skromne said. “I was thinking, we really need to pick this up, but I also know we can.”

The fourth set started close before JDS began pulling away 14-8. Despite an attempted Model comeback, JDS kept the lead and won the fourth set 25-22. Just like that, they were one set away from an opening day win.

The fifth set was not as close, and Model won 15-7. Despite the loss, the Lions are confident about their chances this year.

“I think we’re a lot stronger this year than last,” Skromne said. “We’ve only had one practice so far, but we have a lot of new players, and we’re definitely strong.”