Top 10 things to do during spring break

Photo by Ella Kotok, LT

Among many other fun activities, volunteering is a great and meaninngful way to spend your spring break. Many students in the JDS community volunteer at Friendship Circle, an organization that works with children with special needs.

Julia Rich, Reporter

When the cherry blossoms have bloomed and the weather has started to warm up, you know spring break is just around the corner. With some new free time, it can be difficult to find things to do. So, here are some accessible and fun activities to do during your spring break this year:

1. Go to a baseball game

Baseball season has finally come around again. As a proud fan of the Washington Nationals, I would suggest attending a game this upcoming spring break. Spending a day at Nationals Park is an extremely fun experience, especially because of all the amenities and the great entertainment.

1. Hang out in Georgetown, D.C.

Whether you want to shop, eat at great restaurants or just walk around, Georgetown has activities for everyone. You can go to the Georgetown Waterfront Park, walk around the Georgetown University campus, take a stroll along the canal or even paddleboard in the Potomac River. Walking along the streets can also be a beautiful experience, especially in the springtime.

1. Go to a museum

There are so many fun, interesting and even interactive museums in Washington, D.C. Some of my favorites include the Smithsonian American Art Museum, which contains one of the world’s largest and most inclusive collections of art, and the International Spy Museum, where visitors can experience being in the shoes of a spy.

1. Take in the scenery at the Brookside Gardens

For a serene activity, the Brookside Gardens located in Silver Spring within the Wheaton Regional Park is a great place to unwind and enjoy nature. The gardens are open daily free of charge. Throughout the 50 acre park, you can visit the Gude Garden which has weeping cherry trees and green hills surrounding a large pond or the Japanese Tea House where you can participate in Yoga and Tai Chi classes. Additionally, you can visit the Reflection Terrace, the Viburnum Garden or the Fragrance Garden.

1. Go ziplining

If you are looking for a more active activity, ziplining is an extremely fun option. Fortunately, there are so many places in the D.C. area that you can go to. The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring is a ziplining journey where you can guide yourself while climbing and ziplining in the trees. The park is also accessible to everyone as there are over a dozen trails you can do and each trail is a different difficulty level.

1. Take a hike

There are many nearby hiking trails in D.C., M.D. and  V.A. You can visit the trail at Rock Creek Park, which is located in D.C. It is quiet and has forested networks of trails that are both easy and challenging. Other trails that I recommend are the Mount Vernon Trail in V.A., the Whiteoak Canyon Trail in V.A. that passes through multiple waterfalls and the Billy Goat Trail in M.D.

1. Go to Gravelly Point Park

At Gravelly Point Park, you can watch planes fly directly above you at the Washington Memorial Parkway in Arlington County, V.A. When you go, you can see families having picnics and kids playing soccer. It is a very unique experience that I would definitely recommend doing.

1. Go on a bike ride

Biking is extremely underrated but is great exercise and a fun activity to do with friends. While I love biking to Georgetown and Bethesda, you can also just bike around your neighborhood. Additionally, renting “Lime” scooters is also a thrilling activity and it is very inexpensive.

1. Venture on a road trip

As long as you have a car or know someone who does, road-tripping is an extremely fun and easy activity that anyone can do. Road trips are a great adventure and can make you discover new places and interests. It would be fun to also go camping at some of your stops. You have total control over your schedule and can make the trip in whatever direction you want to.

1. Volunteer somewhere

Volunteering is such a nice thing to do and can be very fulfilling. Meals on Wheels has a morning shift from 9-11:45 a.m. where volunteers can prepare sandwiches and package food for that day’s meals. Tech Cafe is an organization where you can talk to members of the Hebrew Home about technology-related questions they might have. You can also volunteer at other organizations, such as Habitat for Humanity, A Wider Circle or Friendship Circle.