Pursuing professions related to Judaism

January 18, 2020

According to JDS’ Portrait of a Graduate detailing the ideal skill set that graduates gain from their experience as students, alumni should be “knowledgeable, engaged, and passionate Jew[s]” upon graduating. These expectations and the emphasis on Judaism at JDS has influenced some alumni to translate their “passion” into serving the Jewish community professionally.

Raised in an Orthodox home in Kemp Mill, Schechter initially attended the Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy, but ultimately switched to JDS when she was thirteen to receive validating answers to her questions about women’s roles in Judaism and other controversial Judaic topics.

JDS opened eyes to things I didn’t know existed and gave me a place where I could fit in. JDS taught me that it is all okay. There is no black and white; there are many ways to do what works for you.

— Director of Jewish Life Shoshana Schechter

“Little did I know that walking into Cynthia Peterson’s Jewish history class in seventh grade would completely change my life forever,” Schechter said. When switching to JDS, Schechter experienced an immense shock to have all of her teachers willing to validate her inquisitive personality and to have female Jewish role models to inspire her.

“JDS opened my eyes to things I didn’t know existed and gave me a place where I could fit in. JDS taught me that it is all okay,” Schechter said. “There is no black and white. There are many ways to do what works for you.”

Influenced by science teacher Nick Miller, Schechter originally planned to major in anthropology at the University of Maryland until she worked at Camp Tel Yehudah one summer.

But after her experiences at JDS and at Camp Tel Yehudah, she knew she wanted to pursue a career involving strengthening the Jewish community and ensuring that all individuals have the skill set to be comfortable in any Jewish community.

“To me, [JDS] has always represented the epicenter of innovation of Jewish education and our willingness to try new things. Not just our willingness, but we want to try new things and help others,” Schechter said. “When this [position as Director of Jewish Life] came up, and there was the opportunity to help shape the vision of the school that moves forward, I couldn’t resist.”