Lions Eliminated 2-0 in Semifinal

Lion vs Washington

Benny Hasenberg

Lion vs Washington

Benny Hasenberg, Reporter

“We prepared the entire season for this game,” said head coach, Steve Forestieri of the high school varsity soccer team. After a school year without a soccer season, the CESJDS boys varsity soccer team came back stronger than ever and the future looks very promising for the program. The team fell to the top seeded Washington International School on the road in the PVAC semifinal.

“In the years past, I don’t think we ever won more than a few games,” said Senior Eli Gordon. This year however, was a different story. The Lions finished the season as the fourth seed in the PVAC and competed right to the end of their semifinal matchup against Washington International. “This is one of the best seasons we’ve had in quite a few years,” Forstieri said. “It was a special team to be a part of.”

It was a back and forth game throughout the first half. At halftime the score was tied at 0-0 and it seemed as if it would take the whole game for one of the defenses to break down and concede the first goal of the game.  Washington International finally got that goal on a freekick midway through the second half. “After battling for 60 minutes, and then having that goal scored, it was tough to bounce back from that,” Forstieri said. 

With the season coming to an end, the Lions will lose a few of their key players from this season. “The Senior’s contributions were definitely key to the success we had this season,” Forstieri said. Seniors, Oren Swagel, Eli Gordon and Jordan Jones will be moving on from the team after this season. “Being part of this team was really special, and this group worked hard all season to get to this point,” Gordon said. 

Although the abrupt finish to the season was not the ending the team wanted, the program greatly improved compared to past seasons. Even after the game, with their season coming to an end, the team gathered together for one last time on the sideline. The players and coaches agreed that the loss today will serve as their motivation to continue the progress they have made and they will carry it into next season.

“We’re going to miss our three seniors very much, but we’re getting most of our team back next season and we’ll hopefully move forward and get even further next year,” Forstieri said.