Lions lose tough game in overtime

Photo by Ezra Raskin

The Lions celebrate a goal scored by sophomore Ari Werbin early in the first half. The Lions lost the game 2-1 against Washington International School.

Adin Halbfinger, Reporter

After a close game, the boys’ varsity soccer team lost in overtime to the Washington International School (WIS) 2-1.  When the shrill tone of the referee’s whistle signaled the end of regular time, the soccer team thought that they had just tied one of the best teams in the league. However, to the surprise of the Lions players, the referees motioned for the teams to head back onto the field for overtime. WIS scored in overtime and sent the Lions home as losers.

“Some of the guys that are on the team now, the last time they played in the league, it was for middle school where they don’t [play overtime],” Head Coach Steven Forestieri said.

The amount of new players is especially high this year because last year’s Potomac Valley Athletic Conference (PVAC) soccer season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. CESJDS had soccer as an option for students to play after school last year, but it was not competitive.

“Our outdoor soccer [season] last year was very unorganized. I think most of the time there was no coach or teacher,” Junior and goalkeeper Josh Einhorn said. “It was fun, but I don’t think it was enough.”

The Lions struck first when sophomore Ari Werbin kicked the first goal of his high school career in the opening minutes. 

“Seth [Pearce] was on the wing, and he crossed it into me… I basically just shot it and kicked it as hard as I could, and it went in,” Werbin said.

Then, just a few minutes later, WIS struck back with a goal of their own, tying the game.

After the action-packed beginning, the rest of regular time was a defensive battle. Einhorn blocked shot after shot, keeping JDS in the game. The crowd cheered after each close call, but despite the praise, Einhorn was not satisfied.

“I don’t think I did anything special and didn’t have any great saves. Their shots were amazing, and there’s not much I could have done about those,” Einhorn said.

On their first possession in overtime, the Lions almost ended the game with a deep shot. However, the shot went wide and the game continued. After a little back and forth, WIS scored to win the game.

“[Overtime is] the first team that takes advantage of their opportunity, and they happened to be the first team to do that after we had our opportunity at the kickoff,” Forestieri said.

Junior Jaren Goldberg injured his lower leg in the second half. The injury seemed minor, so he stayed on the bench with the team and did not return to the game.

The Lion’s record is now 1-2. They started the season with a loss against Sandy Spring Friends School last week but rebounded with a win against Berman Hebrew Academy.

“We have a lot of time off where the team is not together during the month of September, but October is right around the corner, and we’ll be able to have more time to work on the things we need to fine-tune,” Forestieri said. “Once we do that, we’re going to see tremendous improvement.”