Varsity baseball team takes big win on final game of the season

Photo by Adin Halbfinger

Junior Zackary Shpilman warms up during the last baseball game in his high school career.

Adin Halbfinger, Guest Writer

After a near canceling due to inclement weather, the Lions Varsity Boys Baseball team won their last game of the season today against The Field School. The two junior players on the team played the last game of their high school career today and went home with one final win.

“Our pitchers came out and absolutely dominated. I think that really sets the tone.” baseball coach Matt Cohen said. “It really takes pressure off of our fielders, and builds confidence for our team.”

The first two innings of the game saw a few players get hit by pitches, and one run scored by the Lions. The run was scored by freshman Matthew Steindecker, who caught Field sleeping on a fly ball behind first base. 

Ten minutes of thunder during the third inning made many nervous that the impending storm would hit before the game finished. 

Field was at bat and down 1-0 in the third inning. Standing on the pitcher’s mound was junior Zackary Shpilman. Then, lightning struck and the umpire raised his hands to call for a delay.

“If we play, I’m just gonna go out there and finish off what I started because it’s junior night. It’s my last night as a JDS lion,” Shpilman said. “I was just gonna go out there and pump as hard as I could.”

The players rushed inside where they were met by the softball team, who was also facing a delay. While there was doubt that the game would resume at all, the team hung out in the gym and kept their spirits high.

“It sucks, but if God and the weather doesn’t want us to play, then he doesn’t want us to play.” junior Eli Gordon said.

54 minutes later, the sign was given to head back to the field and resume play.

When the game resumed, Field managed to load the bases with just one out. A high popout and a strikeout later the inning ended with no damage done to the Lions.

The bottom of the third and the top of the fourth innings were uneventful offensively, as both pitchers struck out the side. In the bottom of the fourth, however, the bats started to boom for the Lions.

The Lions quickly recovered from a leadoff strikeout and drew two straight walks. After another strikeout, the Lions were left with one out remaining in the inning in which sophomore Cameron Mont doubled to score a run. After a wild pitch, four walks, a single and a few steals, the Lions had blown the lead up to six.

“I think that part of it was that they just had a chance to breathe,” Cohen said. “They just had a chance to settle into it, catch their breath, come back out here, and they started to trust in each other.”

The Field School responded with a run of their own in the fifth, but the Lions still held a 6-1 lead. The Lions and Field exchanged runs in the sixth and seventh innings to end the game, and with it, the season ended on a 7-2 Lions’ win.

Being their last game in a Lions uniform, it was an important one for both juniors on the team. However, for Gordon,  the game held greater significance because of the date.

“Four years ago today a good friend of mine passed away, so what happened on that mound, that’s for her,” said Gordon. “For Senesh.”