Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

Photo by C. Stanley Photography

Harrison Bryan (Christopher)in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at Round House Theatre.

The junior and senior classes took a trip to see a production of the Tony Award-winning play “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” at the Round House Theatre in Bethesda on Dec. 4. 

While CESJDS theater trips are an annual privilege, this particular show felt like a new experience. The audience was captivated throughout the 155-minute performance which left students buzzing with excitement, awe and a deeper understanding of what it is like to experience sensory and behavioral differences. 

“Curious Incident” is a show based on a novel of the same name and is performed from the perspective of Christopher Boone, a British teenager who is on the neurodiverse spectrum and experiences sensory perception differences. The audience watches Christopher navigate family life and the challenges that can arise with growing up, including academic stress, parental separation and running into trouble with law enforcement. 

The small, 10-person cast highlighted the versatility and range of talent possessed by the actors, with several portraying multiple characters and speaking with numerous accents. Standout performances from Harrison Bryan (Christopher), Cody Nickell (Ed) and Maboud Ebrahimzadeh (Roger/Voice 2) stole the show.

Nickell and Ebrahimzadeh –– whom the seniors saw in “Oslo” last spring –– genuinely showcased the difficult intricacies of dealing with stressful and complicated situations, making their unique, adult characters relatable to the modern teen. There is a point where both men get into physical altercations with Christopher, but how they perform these scenes does not automatically make the audience dislike them. The audience grows to understand the stress they are under, a testament to the talent of these actors. 

Bryan’s informed portrayal of Christopher was very convincing and showed the audience that being on the spectrum does not define someone; we all share similar desires, fears and emotions. This sentiment was reinforced during a post-show discussion panel with the cast members. 

One moment that was particularly touching occurred when Christopher discussed his future with his teacher, Siobhan. He said, “I can do these things, [because] I was brave,” leaving the audience inspired to approach their lives with positivity and zeal. Sprinkled in with heartfelt scenes like these were several moments of levity, as well as major altercations between characters that left the theater in silence. 

The productions’ innovative use of projections and intricate sound and lighting techniques tied every aspect of the show together. When Christopher felt over-stimulated, the audience experienced this with him as the volume and chaotic lighting intensified. While the technology used in “Curious Incident” allowed the audience to enter Christopher’s imaginative mind, the effects may seem too erratic to some, so be aware if you are sensitive to elements like this.

“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” at the Round House Theatre features a phenomenally talented cast and an even more astounding story, including a few surprise appearances from some animal guests. Students ages 13 and up can reserve a free ticket to several Round House plays, including “Curious Incident,” by presenting a student, college or government ID at the box office. Parents of students receiving a free ticket can also claim a five-dollar discount for a ticket of their own. The show closes on Dec. 22, so make the trip –– or very short drive –– down to Bethesda to experience this incredible production.