New ice cream trend rolls out in Rockville

Ilana Kaplan, Guest Columnist

Bored of cupcakes? Tired of macaroons? Thai-inspired rolled ice cream is the newest dessert trend, and you can try it just up the street from Rockville Town Square at Class 520.

Thai rolled ice cream  is a frozen treat made on a cold steel grill. It has the same consistency and texture of ice cream, but is coiled in rolls instead of scooped. At Class 520, they make your entire order right in front of you, starting with the ice cream from scratch. The liquid base is poured onto an extremely cold metal grill and is spread out while being pressed into a thick, cold cream. It is then rolled into five to six coiled long rolls and is later finished with toppings of your choice. This process only takes a few minutes and is definitely worth the wait, especially given that it is very entertaining to watch.

There is a wide variety of ice cream flavors, including Morning Latte, Key Lime Pie, Monkey Business and my personal favorites: S’mores Galore and Oreo Secret. The toppings range from typical Oreos to out-of-the-ordinary flame-toasted marshmallows, and the combinations are endless.

The atmosphere of the shop is inviting and appealing. As you walk in, you are immediately greeted with the sweet aroma of sugary delicacies and hip music playing from speakers surrounding the room. All of the employees are friendly and happy to answer any questions, whether it be about what to order or food allergies. The seating options vary from stools at small tables to comfortable chairs at the far end of the shop. There are also two small tables right outside of Class 520, but given that the shop is in a tiny strip mall next to a Hookah bar, I personally would not recommend the outdoor seating.

All orders cost $6.50 plus tax, no matter how many toppings you get. This is a fair price given the generous amount of ice cream and the wide range of toppings from which you can choose. While I was not able to finish my ice cream by myself, it’s a perfect size to share with a friend or family member. Overall, the service, experience and ice cream were amazing and I recommend it to everyone, whether they are ice cream fans or not.

photo courtesy of Ilana Kaplan
The final product.

Class 520 is located at 5 Dawson Ave. in Rockville, Md.