JDS Responds to Release of iPhone 6s and 6s Plus

Isaac Silber, Reporter

The new iPhone 6S and 6S plus will become available in stores on Sept. 25, though only a small amount of students are planning to purchase them.

In a survey conducted of 80 students by the Lion’s Tale about 88 percent of students said they have an iPhone.

This time around the iPhones will not be getting bigger, but the new iPhones will have faster WiFi and cell service as well as a 12 mega-pixel cameras and a new feature called 3D Touch, where the phone will bring up different menus based on how one touches the screen. The new phones will be offered in the usual silver and space gray as well as new colors gold and rose-gold. The only main difference between the two phones is the 6S Plus will be bigger than the 6S.

Yet even with all the new features, only five out of the 80 students surveyed said they were planning to get the new phone. About 20 percent said they were unsure and 74 percent said they were not planning to get either the 6S or the 6S plus.

Eighth-grader Joe Goldberg is one of the few students who is planning on getting the iPhone 6S. Goldberg is interested in the iPhone 6S for many reasons, but he is most excited about its camera features. This is especially important to Goldberg because one of his hobbies is taking photographs which he posts to his own website. He also cited the faster WiFi, and longer battery life as reasons why he would be getting the new phone. Goldberg currently has the iPhone 5S, but plans on selling it to help cover the cost for his new phone.

The 6S and 6S plus can be preordered now for $199 for the 6S and $299 for the 6S plus, with a two year service contract.