All peachy with middle school musical

Production of "James and the Giant Peach Jr." showcases actors' talent, creativity

Ladahlords played by seventh-grader Dalia Siegel and eighth-grader Jonathan Morris pose in front of the giant peach after the VIP production of

Ladahlords played by seventh-grader Dalia Siegel and eighth-grader Jonathan Morris pose in front of the giant peach after the VIP production of "James and the Giant Peach Jr."

photo by Sabrina Bramson

photo by Sabrina Bramson

Sabrina Bramson, Reporter

Dressed in a puffy pale vest and armed with colorful maracas, eighth-grader Drew Sadikman, the Earthworm, brought the house to roaring laughter as he sang “Plump and Juicy” to the seagulls.

This was a standout scene in the middle school production of “James and the Giant Peach Jr.” The story, which is based on a Roald Dahl novel, is about a boy named James who goes to live with his two aunts after his parents died. After meeting a man who gives James magic,  James accidentally turns a regular peach into a giant peach and the insects nearby go through the same transition. James then embarks on a journey alongside the insects inside of the peach where they travel from England to New York City.

Directed by Director of Arts Education David Solomon, the show features a talented and interactive cast, an intricate set design and colorful costumes. The play takes a very well-known and loved story and brings it to life in a comical musical.

The one hour and 15-minute production is funny and creative. The costumes are very detailed and the puppets portraying animals for parts of the show gave the show a homemade feel. Notably, the seagull costumes evoke a realistic vibe. The costume is comprised of identical white outfits paired with a lifelike seagull mask.

The entire company’s rendition of the opening number, “Right Before Your Eyes” is certainly one of the highlights of the show, in addition to other songs sung by the whole ensemble. Though all of the voices and accents are very impressive, the Ladahlords, or narrators, played by seventh-grader Dalia Siegel and eighth-grader Jonathan Morris, are exceptional. Between the off-script laughs and the genuine smiles, the audience can see how much fun the young actors are having.

Although there were some mishaps such as a couple trips on stage and wardrobe issues, the cast rolled with the punches and gave it their all. Throughout the production, actors walk among the audience, making for an interactive experience. This added to the feel of the whole show and made it more personal.

Overall, the middle school production of “James and the Giant Peach Jr.” is entertaining and I would recommend going to see it Thursday, March 23 at 7:30 p.m. or Sunday, March 26 at 2:00 p.m. at the Upper School.

Tickets can be purchased for “James and the Giant Peach Jr.” by clicking here

*An earlier version of this article misstated Drew Sadikman’s grade. He is in eighth grade, not seventh.