Serving Israel: Tennis team practices with Israeli youth organization

photo courtesy of Lynn Morgan

JDS tennis players at a practice with the Israeli tennis players the day after the exhibition.

Addie Bard, Reporter

The CESJDS boys and girls varsity tennis teams are both opportunities for players to grow on and off of the court. Players not only improve their tennis skills, but also help the Israel Tennis Center (ITC) and contribute to the community in more ways than one.

The ITC is a non-profit social service agency that uses tennis to improve the lives of many Israeli children in need. It helps Israeli children who are at-risk, have special needs or have immigrated to Israel by providing the players with all necessary equipment for the sport. It works toward helping Arabs and Israelis coexist by enrolling both groups in its programs.

In addition to coaching the boys and girls tennis teams, coach Julie Rabinowitz is also the ITC regional director. She helped organize a tennis exhibition at the Woodmont Country Club in honor of the organization’s 40th anniversary on Aug. 23, and was able to connect JDS athletes to the event by offering students the chance to play with the Israelis from the exhibition the next morning. This opportunity took place at the regularly scheduled JDS girls tennis tryouts, and Rabinowitz also invited athletes from the boys tennis team to participate and play tennis with them.

“It’s an opportunity for not only for kids to connect, [but also] to continue to have an ongoing relationship and connection over a sport that is really a lifelong sport.” Rabinowitz said.

Sophomore Seth Eisenstein has been involved with the organization since seventh grade and for the Class of 2019’s eighth-grade tzedakah project, Eisenstein made a presentation and advocated for some of the funds to go to the ITC. The Class of 2019 donated over $1,000, and when the players from the ITC came to JDS, Eisenstein was able to play with them.

“I think it was really cool meeting kids from all different backgrounds who play tennis that are from Israel,” Eisenstein said. “It’s really cool to see how many different kids the Israeli Tennis Center impacts.”

The representatives from the ITC were able to showcase their skills by playing doubles with the JDS players.

Senior Danielle Schwartz enjoyed playing with the Israelis and, in the little time they had together, she was able to make connections.

“It was cool and different [to play with the Israelis], Schwartz said. “I got so close with the coach, he gave me his number for when I go to Israel, he’s like ‘come play with us!’”

The ITC provides a safe space for Israelis, and the organization is able to teach the players life lessons.

“Of all of the things I have done connected to Israel, this is the one where I really have had a meaningful, person to person, hands-on connection that has always had very immediate gratification for me,” Rabinowitz said. “The kids are fun to be with, their stories are inspiring and many are also happen to be very good tennis players. More importantly, over the years I have really seen the impact that this program is having on their lives.”