Spotlight: The Writing Center

+Junior+Eli+Winkler+works+on+an+ISearch+draft+with+English+Teacher+Melissa+Fisanich+in+the+Writing+Center.

Jonathan Foldi

Junior Eli Winkler works on an ISearch draft with English Teacher Melissa Fisanich in the Writing Center.

Jonathan Foldi, In-Depth Editor

During every lunch period in room 106, students can be seen working on anything and everything involving writing. From questioning Frankenstein’s morality to writing the ISearch, the Writing Center is a space where students can ask for help or just work quietly on their own.

The CESJDS Writing Center is modeled after writing center programs offered at many universities. It was started by the English department in the early 1990s and ever since, has been a resource for students looking for feedback on any writing assignment.

English teacher Melissa Fisanich has been the coordinator of the Writing Center since the 2011-2012 school year and has greatly enjoyed the experience. Fisanich is in charge of organizing and instructing the peer tutors as well as manning the Writing Center as a second source of help for students.

As an English teacher, Fisanich views the Writing Center as an especially valuable tool for teachers because at times it can be difficult for her and other teachers to “toe the line” between helping a student and influencing their ideas too much.

When a student legitimately needs her help but Fisanich feels that she is getting too close to the assignment, she send the student to the Writing Center to get help from another teacher or peer tutor. This allows for her to evaluate the work “objectively and fairly” when she has to grade it.

Junior Zoe Salzberg went to the Writing Center for the first time a few weeks ago to work on an english essay. Salzberg thought the room had “a better energy” than other places she could have been working. She found the presence of teachers to be welcoming and the overall environment to be relaxing

“It’s a lot quieter, so it’s easier to focus,” Salzberg said.

Another way that students can utilize the Writing Center is through being a peer tutor. Nine peer tutors volunteer at Writing Center; each  works there once a week.

Junior Jonah Eisen began working at the Writing Center as a tutor on Thursdays this year. His job is to help other students with their essays and creative assignments.

“For me I try to just help them develop their ideas by themselves and not [focus] too much on the writing,” Eisen said. “I feel like if you’re coming to Writing Center, you’re not just gonna come for help on one sentence: it’s more like your argument, your idea, your thesis.”Eisen was initially hesitant to become a peer tutor in the Writing Center. He had been asked by Fisanich if he was interested in becoming one, yet he thought that he would not be an effective tutor because he was in ECP English. According to Eisen, Fisanich explained that the job was not only about the writing process, but also about “having people skills, helping kids out and helping them develop their arguments.”

Fisanich stated that going to Writing Center is not a “magic bullet” which can automatically ensure a good grade for a student. She instructs tutors to never say whether or not a piece of writing is “okay,” but to help students with specific parts of their writing such as topic sentences or conclusions.

So far, being a tutor has been a great experience for Eisen. He has been able to help others, and has seen his writing improve as a result.

“If [a student is] just missing one element of their essay and can’t figure out what it is and you work with them and try to figure it out, and something dings in their head like a lightbulb and so they’re pretty happy,” Eisen said. “It’s pretty rewarding to see that.”

The presence of peer tutors such as Eisen and teachers such as Fisanich ensures that any student who comes to the Writing Center will be given feedback on their work. For those who need it, the door to room 106 will be open.